Friday, February 10, 2012

We are beginning the ADOPTION JOURNEY!


We are beyond thrilled to announce our wonderful news...

WE ARE ADOPTING!

My heart is almost beating out of my chest and my hands are shaking as I type these words - I am just OVERJOYED and BURSTING with excitement! We are beginning the process of adopting a beautiful little girl from Thailand, and we couldn't wait one more minute to share the news with all of you!

Adoption has been something we have both felt called to since before we got married, and I have actually been saving money for an international adoption since the summer of 2007. I will never forget the night of our engagement, when Rusty was looking at some beautiful baby pictures on our wedding photographer's website and suddenly announced, "I think adoption just became important to me." With tears in his eyes he said, "How can these babies have parents that love them enough to spend thousands of dollars on pictures, when there are babies all over the world who don't have anyone?" And so, the very night we committed to get married, God gave us the same heart for adoption. He is always right on time!

Since then, adoption has been a regular part of conversation in our home. It has never been "if", but always "when we adopt". We both felt called to international adoption because of the work we do, but neither knew which country we would pursue. Then, when we were living in Thailand at the beginning of last year, Rusty told me how much he would love to adopt a little girl from there. I knew how much he genuinely loved Thailand - the people and the culture - but this was more than that. With the sex-industry running rampant throughout the country, he said, "I would love to know that we could rescue one little girl from that... to know that horrific industry would never touch her life." At the time, we were volunteering at Viengping Children's Home, and I found myself loving the children of Thailand just as much as I had loved the children we worked with in India and Swaziland. I prayed and rocked and cuddled as many little boys and girls as my arms could hold when I was with them, and I cried when I left them. Those beautiful babies had found a place in my heart. With my husband's suggestion, and my growing love for the culture and people of Thailand, I considered adoption from there to be a real possibility for "someday".

We have always thought we would try to have biological children first, and then pursue the adoption of one (or more) children internationally. But for some reason, over the past few months our feelings began to change. We joked that we weren't ready for children, and wondered aloud about whether or not we could continue our work with The Sound of Hope if we had a child to care for. But God was changing our hearts.... ready or not.

In October, when Katie Davis came to speak at Brookhills, something incredible happened. After she left the stage, a pastor came up to lead a prayer for adoptive parents and foster parents. He asked that anyone who was in the process of adopting or who had adopted or fostered children to remain standing. Because we were not pursuing adoption yet, I sat down. But it took all my strength to do so. For some reason I felt like I was supposed to stay standing! The thought scared me, but I could not shake it! Later that night, Rusty admitted he had felt the same thing!

During the prayer, there was one question that kept racing through my mind. "What if our child, the child God has for us, is already out there? What if he or she has already been born, and we aren't pursuing adoption yet? What if she is crying in a crib somewhere, without a mommy to hold her?" These difficult questions continued as the pastor prayed, and I sobbed.

When we got home that night, I explained what had happened to Rusty. I told him that I knew we hadn't planned to start a family yet, but that suddenly, I was wondering if our plan and our desires really mattered! We had our own selfish reasons for waiting - the truth is, it is easier for it to be "just the two of us!" There is no one to wake us up in the middle of the night, no one to take care of but each other, no one else to plan around, no one who is dependent on us. We have enjoyed just being newlyweds the past (almost) 3 years. "But those selfish reasons just don't seem like good enough reasons to tell a child, 'I don't want to be your mommy," I explained in tears. I knew that God was moving in my heart, and from Rusty's response, He seemed to be moving in his heart too! We agreed to pray about pursuing adoption for a few months, and discuss it again in January.

What happened next is hard to explain... but I can tell you it is nothing short of a miracle of God. He has confirmed to us - in some truly supernatural ways - that this is His plan for us. (If you ever want to know those details, I'd be glad to explain in person! :) We do not have one doubt in our mind that this is how God is leading us to start our family, with the adoption of a precious baby girl from Thailand!

I would ask that you please begin covering us in prayer as we pursue our daughter. Pray for wisdom as we begin researching agencies, and clear direction. Pray for favor over the process and open doors in both countries. Thailand is not a very common place to adopt from, so we are starting at square one. If you know anyone in America who has adopted from Thailand - please, please put us in touch with them! We have a lot of friends who have, or are adopting from other countries, but the process is very different for each and every country.

Please pray for us as we work and as we wait, but most of all, please pray for our little girl. We don't know if she is alive yet, or if she has even been conceived, but we are already praying for her. We are praying for her health - emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. We are praying for protection and for God to place the right people in her path to keep her safe and to love her well until we can get to her. I don't even know this baby girl yet, but I know that I already love her because I find myself in tears when I pray for her. God is already giving me a mother's heart... what a miracle!

--------------------------------------

I know many of you probably have questions, and we have a lot more explaining to do! So feel free to ask questions in the comment section, and I will follow up this blog with a FAQ post :)

20 comments:

  1. This is beyond AMAZING news!!!! I was really moved reading your words and could literally feel your passion through them!!!! I know several families who have adopted from China & Cambodia in my home town but not Thailand. I will be praying for you & your husband, and this journey you are going to embark on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Audrey! We appreciate your prayers more than you know! Thanks for being excited with us! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!! That is so exciting. Have you looked into Show Hope? I know they help with international adoptions and they even have "grants" to help pay for it. http://www.showhope.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I actually met Stephen Curtis Chapman and one of his ShowHope employees at a Sound of Hope event a few years back! Everything I know about their organization is wonderful. I need to look at their website again though, to see if they have any resources or connections to Thailand. Thanks for being excited with us!!!

      Delete
  3. I am soooooo excited for you guys! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend! I'm so glad the cat's out of the bag - I couldn't hold it in anymore! haha! I can't wait to raise our sweet Asian babies together! I'm sure they are going to be the best of friends! :)

      Delete
  4. so exciting. Congrats! What a blessed baby girl you are going to have. You are just adding another Kingdom Baby to the mission field. She will be so loved and feel so valued, I can't imagine the love it will give her for others. Blessings to you both. love, Jamie and Cole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, this comment made me cry! Thank you for saying all those wonderful things! We are already praying that she will know God's love - even before we meet her. You guys will have to come down to Alabama and meet her someday! To think, we were all together in Thailand when God planted this seed! :)

      Delete
  5. So so so so happy and excited for you two!!!! YAYYYYY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny!!!! and Chris! I can't wait for her to meet ya'll someday! She will have so much fun with you two! (and won't that be an awesome reason to come visit us in Alabama?! haha!)

      Delete
  6. I am SO happy!! You both will be such loving parents!! :):) Keep us posted!! :):)<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being excited with us Melissa! I will definitely keep you updated about how you can pray! :)

      Delete
  7. FABULOUS NEWS!!!! Truly, very excited for you both! Please share info as you find it...you know we long to adopt too...maybe our girls are somewhere together?!?! Only God knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah... this comment made me cry! What a beautiful thought! We will definitely keep you updated on everything we learn! You guys are such wonderful parents... I'm sure God has a precious little one waiting out there for you! Praying He leads you to your 3rd child soon! Chloe and Eli need a new sibling to love! ;)

      Delete
  8. I am so happy for you guys and can't wait to follow the journey of God leading you to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! We are so thrilled, and thankful to know so many other adoptive families (like you guys!) It's really encouraging to have friendships with others who have walked this road, and to see God's faithfulness in bringing your families together! :)

      Delete
  9. I wish I had read this sooner, but am thrilled to hear now, about your journey. I am praying my two friends with Thailand experiences, can encourage ya'll too. Praying for you as God leads your family together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What adoption agency are yall using? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, my husband and I are currently living in Thailand and are very interested to learn more about your adoption. Have you started the process yet? I also see that you mentioned "Brookhills." I'm not sure if you are speaking about Brookhills in Bham, but I went to Samford and lived in Birmingham for 5 years. I would love to connect over e-mail if you have any time. God bless your adoption journey: jenmccaman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to following your blog + adoption story! From what I understood about adoption in Thailand is that you cannot request a gender (must be open to being placed with a boy as there's far more boys than girls), and that a couple needs to have a letter from their doctor that proves fertility problems. Have you found these were not on the "must" list for you guys to get started with adoption? Just curious + wishing you both all the best!

    ReplyDelete