Monday, January 24, 2011

100 Days in Thailand :: Day 4 - My Thai Massage

Today I got my first Thai massage.

Rusty has been raving about these massages - how they are long and CHEAP (we're talking $5 for an hour people!) so I have been SO excited about trying one! We thought today would be a good day to get a leg & foot massage, since we spent all day walking around the city yesterday and were pretty worn out.

Except, I've never had a THAI massage before. And they are very, VERY different from those in the US.

If I were to summarize the experience, I'd say it was: 
30% RELAXING
40% UNCOMFORTABLE
30% DOWNRIGHT PAINFUL!!!

WHEW! It was all I could do to keep from yelling and/or crying. Good thing I have a high pain tolerance, because I just didn't want to upset the sweet ladies who were giving us the massages. I wish I knew how to say, "a little softer please" in a respectful, kind way in Thai...but I didn't. So, I tried to "grin and bear it".

After our leg and foot massage was over, they did our heads (which was nice) and then our necks/shoulders. OWWW!!! The whole reason I didn't get a full body massage (also only $5) was because I watched them massage another girl and she was bent in a pretzel with one of the women stepping on her. And that did NOT look very relaxing. So I opted out.

But then they started massaging my shoulders anyway and let me tell you, it doesn't matter how little a Thai woman is, if she has her elbows in your shoulders and is putting her full weight on you I PROMISE it will HURT!

I will say that after all was said and done I felt very relaxed....or maybe that was just the feeling of relief that it was over? I think it's going to be a while before I try another one of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment