Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The rains came down and the floods went up...

Does anyone else remember that song from their Vacation Bible School Days? Unfortunately it was in my head last week, as I was standing in GALOSHES my living room.

Yes, those are pink heart pajama pants tucked into my polka-dot galoshes. 
I didn't have time to change - we had to get our stuff moved quickly!

If you don't live in Alabama, then you may have missed the news of flooding in the Alabaster/Maylene/Helena areas last week. It wasn't anything bad enough to wash out roads (that I know of), but it did do damage to some businesses, churches, schools, and homes. As you can see from these pics, our home was one of those affected...

Our footprints from trying to move the furniture away from the flooding areas... 
everywhere we stepped was squishy! Blech!

Ripping out the soaked carpet the next day...

We're hoping to buy a house sometime next year, and we've been talking about how we might like a place with stained concrete floors on the main level. FYI - this is not what I meant...


As you can see, all the carpet had to be ripped up downstairs and all our belongings (except for the heavy furniture) had to be hauled upstairs. (Which means boxes/random items in almost every room). They also had to cut out areas of wet sheetrock, remove all the baseboards, and now we're waiting for them to dig around the foundation to fix the drainage issues (that caused the leaking/flooding) before they can replace/fix anything inside. Oh yeah - we also have de-humidifiers and fans running nonstop to deal with the additional moisture! Needless to say our home is chaotic right now - which is tough when you live/eat/sleep AND work from home full time!




We are anxious to get everything fixed, but all in all we have a lot to be thankful for. We are thankful that we are just renting this home (which means these repairs are covered by the landlord and are not an expense we have to worry about!)

We are thankful that we were HOME when this happened and not overseas - can you imagine coming home to this mess after it sat like this for a month?! What a nightmare that would've been!

We are thankful that none of our belongings were damaged - because we found out that our renter's insurance does NOT cover flooding! (If you're my friend on facebook - then you may have seen my panicked posts about PRAYING for the flooding to stop. Those were written when we realized that our insurance didn't cover damage AND our living room was flooding - on top of the garage and bonus room!) We had furniture for my "furniture makeovers" all over the garage and were able to move everything before it got wet. We had boxes upon boxes of Sound of Hope merch in our bonus room (which is where we store our non-profit supplies) and somehow ALL of it was spared (even the things in a wet cardboard box!) We had 1 box of books for our overseas Children's Libraries that got wet and were prepared to throw half of them away... but when we opened the box the donor had wrapped the books in plastic WalMart bags! Not even one was damaged! And then there was my wicker chest full of wedding memorabilia... my heart stopped when we picked it up and saw this on the carpet...


That's the outline of the wicker chest that had "melted" onto the wet carpet. The bottom of the chest was wet all the way through to the contents and I just knew they were ruined. Inside was my wedding veil, tiara, cards from friends and family, invitations - everything! Somehow, only one cardboard box inside was soaked through - but I knew what was in that box. It was the box my mom had put our ringbearer pillow in... the pillow she made from fabric from her wedding dress. I almost cried when I pulled it out and found it wrapped in a plastic bag too!!! What are the odds of every single box that got wet having the contents wrapped in plastic? Talk about God being in the details!

And so - even in the FLOOD we have seen how He provides. (Pretty biblical, huh?) And even though I hate the chaos we're surrounded by right now, I am pretty excited about getting new carpet (this older rental home desperately needed it!) Now I just need to remember to count my blessings as we wait for the repairs to be finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment