Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Few of my Favorite Things :: Fall Edition

"Scarves around my neck and boots up to my knees 
Warm apple cider and Pumpkin Spice cream cheese 
Pretty Fall foliage that won't cost a thing 
These are a few of my favorite things..." 

I've been wanting to write this blog for weeks, but honestly, it hasn't felt much like Fall around here! It's difficult to write about "favorite things" like scarves and boots when it's in the 80's every day. But the nights are getting cooler, the leaves are changing, and even though it's going to hit 80 degrees again this week, I'm still going to say - It's FALL Ya'll! So it's time for a post highlighting a few of my favorite things in this splendid season!

#1 - Leaves Changing Colors

Both Rusty and I love this time of year... when God takes out His paintbrush and dabs deep red, rich orange, and bright gold across the typically green and brown landscape. It's crazy to think this is what it looks like when the leaves die... there is such beauty rendered as they succumb to winter. I must admit, I have missed Fall in Michigan this year. It was glorious the last two years... one day it's summer and then suddenly September rolls around and the world bursts into color! It's really extraordinary. (Just not enough to make me want to leave the South again! ;)


#2 - Fall Candles 

When the air gets crisp again, it's the perfect time to fill your house with the warmth of candles! It always seems warmer and cozier when we have candles lit, and I love the way they make my house smell. I usually do a mix of apple, cinnamon, and vanilla candles, but this season I've "FALLen in love" (pardon the pun) with pumpkin spice too! Yankee Candle has some delicious scents but I just can't justify $30 for a candle. So if you're looking for some that smell good and won't break the bank, Pumpkin Spice & Warm Apple Pie from good 'ol WalMart have made me happy this month! *Tip - I'm also using Glade Plug-ins for when my candles aren't lit. Their new Apple Cinnamon scent makes my house smell like I'm baking apple pie everyday!


#3 - Apple Cider

I know most of you are thrilled to death that Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back at Starbucks, but I'm really a Caramel Apple Cider girl! This time of year I crave apple cider all the time (probably because of all the apple cinnamon candles I'm burning! Hmmm...) I've found a great substitute for the expensive stuff at Starbucks though. 1 packet of Alpine Spiced Cider, hot water, 1 - 2 tbs caramel syrup, and a dash of cinnamon. Top it off with whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel syrup, and another sprinkle of cinnamon and you have a delicious Fall treat!

#4 - Fall Flavors

Speaking of Fall Flavors, have you tried the new Pumpkin Cream Cheese yet? I saw it in the store the other day and HAD to give it a try. Good thing I did, because it is DELICIOUS! Rusty and I have been eating it on toasted bagels every morning (maybe not the healthiest breakfast, but gosh it's good!) Pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting are another favorite for this time of year. You can get an easy recipe here!


Photo source : David Albers


Photo source :: Nordstrom
#5 - Scarves

If you know me at all, then you know that I adore scarves. Every color, texture, fabric, and length - I will wear them any day of the year! But once Fall goes around, they are everywhere (and I don't have to stick to thin summertime scarves anymore!) Pull out the cashmere, hand-knits, infinity scarves and all the beautiful woven scarves I bought in India and Thailand! They are beautiful and functional this time of year, and I'm one happy, happy girl.  


Photo source : Makeup Masala


  #6 - Gray Nail Polish 

  I know this may sound crazy to some of you, but I'm loving matte    
  gray nail polish on short nails for the Fall! Two of my faves are Pure 
  Ice "Kiss Me Here", and NYC's quick dry polish in "Park Ave" 
  (which is more of a rose-colored gray). 




#7 - Arbonne's Shea Butter Wash & Body Lotion

In keeping with the scents of the season, I always change my bodywash & lotion to fit the time of the year. In the Summer I like fresh and fruity smells, but when Fall & Winter roll around I like to smell like vanilla. Arbonne's Shea Butter has the most delicious, warm, vanilla scent and I LOVE that it's all-natural! Plus, the lotion does a great job of keeping my skin soft and moisturized in the cold!

#8 - These pictures...

When we were hired as iStock models, our photographers did a shoot for every season. Our Fall shoot is seriously competing with our Spring shoot as my favorite! We've seen these pictures on everything - from a billboard, to printwork & web pictures for the National Marriage Institute, to websites advertising mountain vacations! Here are a few of my favorites from that day...










What are a few of YOUR favorite things for Fall?

*Remember to stay tuned for my next blog - I always follow up a "Favorite Things" post with a giveaway of at least one of my favorite things!