Monday, January 28, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things :: Winter Edition


"Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things..."


I'm a little behind with this blog because I couldn't find my white dress with the blue satin sash (wink!)  but I wanted to be sure to get it out before January is up! (January is totally still winter... so... I'm still okay, right?) Besides, I've got an AWESOME give-away to follow up this post, and this is the perfect month for a give-away... don't you think? So sit back, grab a cup of hot chocolate, and check out a few of my favorite things for WINTER!



#1 Christmas

I realize Christmas is long gone by now (and that I should probably take down all my Christmas cards... oops!) but I'd be lying if it wasn't at the top of the list! I love everything about Christmas... the lights, the music, the gifts, the time spent with loved ones, and of course Baby Jesus' Birthday... but that's enough for a whole blog of it's own. Hmm... maybe we'll come back to that next year... ;)





#2 Glittens

When the weather turns cold, I love a good pair of glittens! That's a glove & a mitten mixed together, for those of you wondering. I like them because they keep my hands warm and my fingers free! There's nothing worse than having to take your whole glove off just because you need your fingers to unlock a car door or to use your touchscreen phone. With these I can just flip the top back to expose my fingertips, then cover them back up quickly! Plus, I happen to think they are adorable!



#3 Snow

I know some of you Southerners are cringing, but I honestly miss the snow we had in Michigan. At least... in Dec/Jan/Feb. When March and April roll around, I am D-O-N-E with the snow (which is one reason we moved back to warmer climates!) But I think it's really beautiful, and I miss the way it makes everything look clean and sparkling white. It's like waking up to a whole new world when everything is covered in snow! There's just something magical about it.




#4 Arbonne Skin Conditioning Oil

Speaking of cold weather... this is my favorite way to help my skin brave the snow and wind of winter! I use it on my face and hands for chapped skin, and it is a lifesaver! It's also great to heal a red, raw nose from a cold/flu/allergies. It's packed full of all-natural essential oils that help your skin heal and hydrate quickly!





#5 Hot Chocolate

Nothing says "winter" like being curled up in front of the fire with a cup of hot chocolate! My favorite is peppermint, and there are a few ways to make it. You can either buy peppermint hot chocolate (Land-O-Lakes is divine!) or you can melt a York peppermint patty or peppermint stick in yours. Yummy! 






#6 Plum or deep cranberry nails

I love to paint my nails to match the seasons. Bright colors in the Spring and Summer, muted colors in the Fall, and rich jewel tones in the Winter! My favorites this season are plums and deep cranberry colors. They really pop with my winter wardrobe!

#7 The Miss America Pageant 

Every January we watch as one young woman's dream comes true and she is crowned MISS AMERICA! Though it didn't happen this year, I usually have a Miss America party so my girlfriends and I can watch together. It's so special to watch after competing in the Miss America Organization, and it's a tradition I can't wait to share with my daughter some day! With the way many celebrities behave these days, I'm grateful for an organization that still understands that little girls need role models who live their lives with grace, character, and integrity. Miss Americas are not just beautiful, they are also intelligent, talented, kind-hearted women who are committed to serving others. 




#8 Presents

If you know me at all, then you know gift-giving is one of my love languages. There are few things I enjoy more than giving or receiving a really thoughtful gift. So winter is pretty special for me, since I get Christmas presents in December, and Birthday presents in January! This year though, my favorite birthday gifts didn't come wrapped in a box or bag. Lots of my friends gave to this need in honor of my birthday, and that was definitely an extra-special gift! 


#9 These pictures...

As I've mentioned before, we did an iStock shoot for almost every season. We didn't get to do a snow session (sad!) but we did do a Christmas one! Here are a few of my favorites...




Looking for Santa! ;)


Our "pretend" daughters. Aren't they cute?


Decorating the tree...


This one (above) was used on a billboard AND a TV ad for a jewelry store in Philadelphia!


 Those antlers are just too cute!


I told you I LOVE presents! ;)











Okay... your turn! What are your favorite things for Winter?

*Remember to stay tuned for my next blog - I always follow up a "Favorite Things" post with a giveaway of at least one of my favorite things!


1 comment:

  1. OH I just love the christmas photos! Great job on them!! MISS YOU!! Beth

    ReplyDelete